Here is some information regarding four common dental injuries that should be examined by an endodontist, courtesy of Professional Endodontics.

What should you do when you experience a dental injury? How do you know if the injury is serious? Is it possible to save a fractured, chipped, or dislodged tooth? Many people aren’t sure what to do when encountering a dental injury. Though our teeth are protected by one of the hardest natural substances, enamel, that does not mean they’re indestructible. We are flawed and fallible people, and sometimes accidents happen. Whether a patient is an athlete who sustained an injury during a game, or someone who simply fell or was in a car accident, tooth injuries occur quite commonly. When these injuries occur, quick and effective treatment is the best way to save a damaged tooth.

Here are four of the most common dental injuries and what an endodontist can do to repair them:

  • Chipped or Fractured Teeth – There are times when teeth are hit with enough force that the protective enamel is not able to save them. This will likely result in a chipped or fractured tooth, the most common of dental injuries. Fortunately, most chipped or fractured teeth can be repaired by a dentist or endodontist by reattaching the chipped portion or by bonding a tooth-colored filling or crown to the affected area.
  • Dislodged Teeth – A dislodged, or luxated, tooth is one that has been pushed out of or into its socket, or is knocked sideways during injury. This type of injury should be seen by a professional immediately, and most likely, root canal treatment will be recommended.
  • Root Fractures – This is when a crack begins in the root of the tooth and travels upward toward the chewing surface. These injuries can go unnoticed due to a lack of visible symptoms, but are often discovered when the surrounding gum and bone become infected. The treatment will usually consist of either removal of the fractured portion through endodontic surgery, or tooth extraction.
  • Cracked Teeth or Fractured Cusps – There are a variety of different types of cracked teeth varying in severity and location. The pain will typically come and go, and may react differently depending on the type of cracked tooth. You may feel pain when chewing, or you may feel pain when the tooth is exposed to extreme temperatures. The treatment method will depend on the type of cracked tooth, and range from putting in a filling to endodontic surgery.

The best way to take care of any dental injury is to be examined by a dentist or endodontist as quickly as possible after the injury. To learn more about the symptoms and treatments for these, and other, dental injuries, contact Professional Endodontics.

About Professional Endodontics

Professional Endodontics has been exceeding the standard of care in Wayne and Macomb counties for over 50 years. The team specializes with treating issues with the inside of the tooth and goes out of its way to provide a safe easy environment for patients. Each member of the practice is dedicated to providing excellence in patient care and values high-quality relationships with referring dentists and specialists. Each endodontist at Professional Endodontics has been individually chosen as Best Dentists. Thanks to contemporary advances in endodontics, Professional Endodontics is able to use innovative technology to treat and save teeth that have suffered damage to the soft tissue within the roots of the tooth.

Professional Endodontics now offers three state-of-the art facilities in Clinton Township, St. Clair Shores, and a fully renovated Southfield location in the Comerica Tower. All locations offer the latest in advanced dental deliver systems, microscopy, and digital radiography.

Professional Endodontics

29201 Telegraph Road
Suite 110
Southfield, MI 48034
(248) 358-2910